Monday, December 24, 2012

Record recording

I consider myself so lucky because of all the people I have met through the ISU carillon. Last summer during The Alumni Reunion while giving campanile tours I started visiting with Beth and Duane Feldick. One thing led to another and I ended up driving up to their house in Buffalo Center, IA to pick up a set of carillon recordings by Ira Schroeder on record. Beth thought they were from 1949 - the 50th anniversary of the carillon. I dug out my old record player while home for Christmas today to listen.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy: Paul Lindemeyer (son of Lindy) here. As a 78 collector myself I decided to to a little digging around and yes, it turns out this album of 3-10" 78s was made in 1949 by RCA Victor's custom pressing division.

    An Associated Press wire service story dated April 22, 1949, claims that this was "believed to be the first successful recording of carillon music."
    http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/15525918/

    Percival Price actually played the Ottawa Peace Tower carillon on a Victor record in 1927 as part of the Diamond Jubilee ceremonies. Whether this was known in the US, or indeed considered "successful," I couldn't say!

    ReplyDelete